The Point Press

• SUBSCRIBE through the following remind code to receive a text when a new edition is live: text @3e6246 to 81010

Filed under OPINION

Black Friday frenzy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black Friday frenzy

On November 23rd stores were packed with ferocious customers trying to get the best deals on popular products for the upcoming Christmas season. People were lined up outside stores, waiting for hours to get a head start on gift shopping.  

Black Friday notorious in America, and the shopping tradition has spread to other countries like Canada and the UK. As the years go on, this day becomes less about the deals and more about making sure you get everything on your child’s Christmas list. We as a country are more worried about attacking someone else because they got the latest iPhone before you did rather than calmly shopping like any other day of the year. Today, Black Friday is more of a violent competition than saving money while you do your Christmas shopping.

Black Friday is also one of the most dangerous shopping days of the year. People stampede stores, snatch items off of shelves and trample each other to get the latest Xbox gaming system. Fights can break out in the middle of department stores because someone took the last dress in someone else’s size.

Witnessing the crowds first hand is always overwhelming. Brave New World had lines wrapped around the store because the everything was twenty percent off. Stores mark down their items so much that people can’t resist buying them. Many brawls broke out around the country this past Black Friday, including two different shootings in Alabama and New York respectively. Shouting and fights broke out as well, one taking place at a Walmart in California made headlines on Friday.

The deals are endless and last until the following Monday, which is known as Cyber Monday. This short window offers some of the best deals of the whole year, and a chance to get something that you would never buy full price. Saving money on gifts is always great, but seeing loved ones face opening a gift on Christmas morning is priceless.

However, this is no excuse for knocking someone over to get the perfect gift for grandma.