The Point Press

• SUBSCRIBE through the following remind code to receive a text when a new edition is live: text @3e6246 to 81010

Filed under OPINION

A Time for Reason

Democrat or Republican, we all agree that the time for reason, and peace between parties, has come. Much of the current conflict is due to misconceptions and miscommunication between opposing political parties.

The Washington Post describes that most Democrats believe that Republicans are “rich, mainly white older folks who tend to be quite judgmental, narrow-minded and unconcerned for their fellow Americans,” as explained by journalists Matt Grossmann and David A. Hopkins. On the contrary, Republicans have been known to categorize the the Democratic party as soft-willed and soft-hearted.

Many Americans long for what is referred to as “the good ol’ days” of politics when Republicans and Democrats got along. For example, in 1981 John Hinckley Jr. shot then President Ronald Reagan outside a hotel in Washington, D.C. after he had just given a speech. When Reagan was moved to the hospital, upon the operating table he said, “please tell me you’re all Republicans.” The Democratically aligned doctor, Dr. Joseph Giordano, replied “we’re all Republicans today.” Not that long ago, although people had different political ideologies, they did not judge one another on their political stances, but on the quality of a person.

The worst part of this hatred between the parties is that the government is being prevented from tackling the bigger issues, such as passing important legislation or reform. Until the Democrats and Republicans learn to compromise and talk to one another, our government will remain at a standstill. The intense polarization of different political affiliations causes many citizens to jump to conclusions without listening to reason.

The only way our country can move forward together is to recognize that it is important to hear opposing opinions and broaden our perspectives, even if they don’t align with our own ideas. It is the most basic thing we all must learn to do: listen to one another.