The Point Press

Filed under SHOWCASE, SPORTS

Spring Sports Preview

Junior+Nick+Guzzi%0A++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Sports Preview

Junior Nick Guzzi

Junior Nick Guzzi

Photo courtesy of Steve Wexler/The Ocean Star

Junior Nick Guzzi

Junior Nick Guzzi

Baseball: Point Boro baseball is expecting big things this season with 7 returning starters that are all looking to make a trip back to the South Jersey Group 2 state final game. One of which that is looking to make a lasting impact this season is junior Nick Guzzi. Nick is committed to St. John’s University for baseball. Some other key returners are seniors Paul Franceschini, Sam Collins, Christian Aurin, and juniors, Nick Zbikowski and the Young brothers (Sam and Cole).

Softball: The softball team is looking to grow and improve this season while winning as many games as possible. Playing in a tough division with state powerhouse and nationally ranked Donovan Catholic, the girls have a tough schedule ahead and will look to battle in each and every game. Some key returners for the Panthers are seniors Hailey DeCarlo and Maggie Tiroly, juniors Collette Flagg and Emma Melito, and sophomore Claire Cooper.

Track/ Field: The track and field team is expecting a huge season this year under the coaching of Michael Colonna. When he was asked his expectations he explained, “The Boys team will be looking to advance a handful of athlete’s through the NJSIAA State Meets. This season could prove to be one of the most successful in school history.” This will be made possible with the outstanding Senior leaders, one of which is the long distance phenom Devin Hart, and for the girls Riley Larson who is looking to make the most she can of her season and finish as one of the best pole vaulters in school history.

Boys Lacrosse: The boys lacrosse team is looking to have a good season this year as well as building the team for years to come. They expect to have a good season with the slight division change under the coaching of Mr. Brady and new assistant coaches Noonan and Kendall. Their main task is to keep up their stellar defense and improve on the offense. This will be made possible with key returners, seniors Cormac McCabe, Parker Roncin, Dylan Kovalesky, TJ Palazzo, Lou Cardenuto and junior Colby Biggs. One uprising player who looks to make an impact this year is freshman Aidan Kirk.

Girls Lacrosse: The girls lacrosse team is looking to pick up right where they left off last season, where they went 14-4 overall and 10-2 in divisional play. Although they graduated a good amount of seniors last year, the Panthers do have a good core of returners including senior captain April Rivera who will look to lead by example this season and help everyone improve every day. Some other key returners for the Panthers are junior Kelly Favato, and sophomores Kelly Conway and Katie Conway who all look to have an impact this year both on the offensive and defensive ends of the field.

Boys Tennis: The boys tennis team is looking to have a fun, competitive year this season.  With a lot of returners, the team is looking to win as many matches as possible and contend for the division championship. Junior Steven Redler is a key returner to the team and is looking to be one of the best singles players in the division this year after having a solid year last season as a sophomore.

Golf: The golf team is looking at a rebuilding year after going 6-13 last season. The team is hoping to improve together and capture a few more wins than last season. Senior Brian Hawthorne will look to lead the team this season and will try to make a run for himself in this years shore conference tournament.

About the Writers
Sam Young, Publication Relations Officer

I joined Journalism because I love to hangout with the best teacher in the school.  After high school I plan to have a fun happy life everyday, make tons...

Joey Picolli, Sports Editor

I joined Journalism to be with Mrs. Jensen. After high school I would like to go to a 4 year college to study Engineering. In school, I play football and...