The Point Press

• SUBSCRIBE through the following remind code to receive a text when a new edition is live: text @3e6246 to 81010

Filed under SPORTS

A Close Look At Spring Track & Field

Senior+Riley+Larson+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Close Look At Spring Track & Field

Senior Riley Larson

Senior Riley Larson

Steve Wexler/The Ocean Star

Senior Riley Larson

Steve Wexler/The Ocean Star

Steve Wexler/The Ocean Star

Senior Riley Larson

This season, the boys and girls track teams are looking to capture division titles and break many school records along the way. The boys team will be looking to advance a handful of athletes through the NJSIAA state meets. This season could prove to be one of the most successful in our school’s history.

Key players to return for the spring include senior distance runner and state champion Devin Hart, Paul DeJacimo, Casey Brown, Mitchell Morehouse, Luke Dragon, and Daniel Brouder. The sprinters will look to the senior leadership of Jake Corrigan, while junior Christian D’Amato will look to establish himself as one of the premier sprinters in the area. The pole vault will see senior Cale Langan and junior Aidan Morehouse return as they compete for a county title. The throwers look to improve on last season behind the arms of Ryan Visco, Chris Boud, and Xander Zindzius.

The team is setting out to break school records for the 800M, 1600M, 3200M, long jump, distance medley relay, sprint medley relay, 4×800 and the long jump relay. Along the way, Devin Hart will look to make some noise at the Penn Relays and help to put the team in position to contend for a division title, as well as leave his legacy as one of the greatest runners in not only school history, but state history. Long jumper Christian D’Amato has an opportunity to become one of the top long jumpers in the area and will look to be major contributors to this team.

The girls team returns with many top athletes both in the division and the county, and looks to add several new school records to the board. Senior Riley Larsen looks to add to her legacy and continues her quest to become NJ#1 in the pole vault, becoming the best vaulter in school history. Molly Kate Sabia and Sarah Kimak look to do the same in the distance events. Molly Kate and Sarah are the backbone of the distance crew and look to be top competitors in both the division and the county.

Senior leader Carlie Vetrini looks to be PPBHS’ top thrower and returns as one of the states top 10 javelin throwers. The team hopes she will help motivate sophomore Laura Ormsby, who is also looking forward to an impressive season. Freshman Kiera Munyan, Imirah Thrasher, and Katie Hynes all look to be major contributors to the team this season. Riley Larsen, Ally Hyman, and Anna Yakup look to be a force in the county in the Pole Vault and will look to go undefeated in dual meet competition.

The girls distance squad looks to break the 4×800, distance medley relay, 4×400, pole vault relay, 800M, 1600M, 3200M, pole vault and javelin records. Sprinters Jess Gaven, Jordan Carr, Megan Bynoe, and Frankie Ryan all look to have a breakout year and will be critical for this team’s success this season. The girls will look to qualify a 4×400 relay to the Penn Relays, as Riley Larsen will be competing in the pole vault and will look to build some momentum heading into championship season. This season could prove to be one of the top finishes in school history for the lady Panthers as this team is loaded with talent!

Special thanks to Mr. Colonna for helping us with all the news about the track team!

About the Writer
Joey Picolli, Sports Editor

I joined Journalism to be with Mrs. Jensen. After high school I would like to go to a 4 year college to study Engineering. In school, I play football and...