Spotlight on Point Boro Alumni

Spotlight on Point Boro Alumni

As the year comes to an end, seniors have worked hard to conclude their high school careers. Students will transition into the next step, whether attending college, entering straight into the workforce, or even serving our country. Students of the past and present have impacted our community in so many ways, many coming back and teaching in Point Pleasant schools.

In 1966, the first class of Point Pleasant Borough High School graduated. Students from those classes have gone out and have done wonderful things, not only in Point Pleasant, but branching out all over the country. Ranging from professional sports players to teachers here at the high school, alumni have influenced the community for years, but where are they now?

It makes me especially happy to see my former students who have made a home in Point Pleasant and who now have their children attending Point Pleasant High School. I couldn’t have chosen a more rewarding career

— Vice Principal, Ms. Zamarra

Vice Principal, Ms. Zamarra graduated from PPBHS during the “age of disco”. After high school, she attended and graduated from Lycoming College and majored in Biology. She had no intention of teaching. After receiving 60 credits, she began to substitute teach on her breaks from school, which she credits to sparking her love for education. “Maybe if I had went on to get a job right away and had not experienced teaching, I wouldn’t be in the position I am today,” said Ms. Zamarra.  

Ms. Zamarra taught Biology at the high school for twenty years before taking the Vice Principal position that she currently holds. The former principal encouraged her to take the position, and even though she was hesitant at first because she loved teaching, she thoroughly enjoys her current role as the vice principal. She explained, “In my 20 years as a teacher, I have taught students who have gone on to become teachers – many right here in the high school, also electricians, doctors, genetic engineers, mechanics, lawyers, police officers, carpenters, stay-at-home moms and dads, professional athletes, real estate agents and soldiers.  I am proud of each and every one of them for making their own way and living a good life. It makes me especially happy to see my former students who have made a home in Point Pleasant and who now have their children attending Point Pleasant High School. I couldn’t have chosen a more rewarding career.”

Another Alumni from PPBHS is Jason Nase. Graduating in 1992, he went on to attend Rider University where he was recruited for wrestling. At Rider, he graduated with a degree in Elementary Education and Secondary Education with a concentration in Social Studies and a degree in History. “I was inspired to teach when I was in high school by my history teacher, Mr. William Moore, and always knew that I wanted to teach and coach in the future,” said Mr. Nase.

I loved wrestling for Point Pleasant Boro, it is a special community that I was always proud to be a part of and represent. I still am today. People who grow up in Point share a bond that only people who come from small towns can understand

— Jason Nase

During his high school days, Jason was a member of the Key Club and was President of the Class of 1992 his senior year. “Many of my teachers and mentors influenced me as well as my coaches…. I loved wrestling for Point Pleasant Boro, it is a special community that I was always proud to be a part of and represent. I still am today. People who grow up in Point share a bond that only people who come from small towns can understand. That community is incredibly supportive of me and I still have family who live there,” said Mr. Nase.

Nase explained in an interview that he never thought he would be where he is today without Point Boro, and that the school set the foundation for the success he has obtained. He was inducted into the Foundation of Excellence, the Point Boro Wrestling Hall of Fame, Rider University Athletics Hall of Fame, and the Shore Conference Hall of Fame.

Ms. Zamarra and Jason Nase are two great examples of students that have graduated from PPBHS and are doing phenomenal things for the community. So many exemplary people have walked the halls of the high school. Some others include, Christie Rampone, Diamond Dallas Page, Ryan Malleck, Elizabeth Derosa, Soraya, and so many others. Everyone that has graduated from PPBHS has impacted Point Boro and the community in some way.