Offseason Work Turns Into Midseason Success

Though it isn’t the season for some sports, student athletes throughout Point Pleasant Borough High School are preparing for their upcoming seasons. For example, the basketball team is staying sharp in preparation for the 2019-2020 season ahead by playing in a league throughout the fall. The league takes place in Neptune at the Hoop Group. 

“In the off-season, I’m playing fall ball and then in the winter I’m working out and going to different training camps. Hopefully, it will get me up to the next level.

— junior Trey Harpootlian

A lot of the competition seen in the league will in turn help out the high school team come late November,when the season officially begins. The opponents the HS basketball team will face this year are very skilled and competitive. Therefore, it will help the team come together and develop better chemistry.  

Aside from winter athletes, spring-sport athletes are also putting in work for the upcoming season, whether it be playing on a travel team, playing on a club team, etc. Point Borough Baseball is a great example of this. Athletes from the team like junior Zach Hill and sophomore Trey Harpootlian both play travel baseball, working to get to the promised land of winning a title, where the baseball team fell short of reaching last year.  Harpootlian explained how beneficial playing on a team in the off season can be, “In the off-season, I’m playing fall ball and then in the winter I’m working out and going to different training camps. Hopefully, it will get me up to the next level.”

All in all, players from teams not in session are working in the off season to reach their main goal when their season finally comes.