Girls Swimming Moves on to States

Girls+Swimming+wins+against+Haddon+Twp.+in+the+State+Tournament.++

Girls Swimming wins against Haddon Twp. in the State Tournament.

Girls Swimming finished their season in the B-south division with a record of 7-2. However their year isn’t over yet. With astonishing results in the Ocean County Tournament, Shore Conference Championships, and the regular season meets, they qualified for the State Tournament. 

“I am really proud of our team and how we did this season. States is going to be a challenge but I think we can take it on and do well.

— Bridget Cleveland

The Ocean County Tournament was an exciting meet for Boro’s swimmers. The team got second place and was only three points away from beating the first place winner, Southern Regional. They gained valuable points in the last event by coming in 1st in the 400-yard freestyle relay. Sophomore Bridget Cleveland, junior Nicole Sleys, sophomore Sarah Santos, and junior Alexis Jankovich all swam in the event and earned a record time of 3:43.37. That win was crucial to secure their place. 

The Shore Conference Championships was another big meet for Boro girls. The meet was held at Rutgers and just so happened to be during the week of midterms. Numerous schools from both Ocean and Monmouth County participated. Key swimmers Bridget Cleveland, Sarah Santos, Alexis Jankovich, sophomore Olivia Zulla, Nicole Sleys, junior Makana Steinmetz, sophomore Emily Atheras, and junior Anna Jankovich all qualified to swim in their best events. These well rounded swimmers were able to get fast times in the pool and ace their midterms at school. 

Being in the NJSIAA State Tournament is a huge achievement for the team. Cleveland, Boro’s best 200-yard freestyle swimmer, stated, “I am really proud of our team and how we did this season. States is going to be a challenge but I think we can take it on and do well.” The girls were seeded 3rd and bypassed the first round. The quarter final round on Thursday, February 6 was a nail biter, but the team was able to pull through with the win against Haddon township. The final score was 92 to 79. At the meet Coach Ryan said the score was “too close for comfort,” but she and the rest of the team are excited for the Semi finals against Governor Livingston on the 10th.