Spring Band Concert 2022

Panther band members perform their first ‘normal’ spring concert in 3 years.

On Thursday, May 12, eager parents and fellow students flocked to the Loren D. Donley Center for the Point Pleasant Boro High School Spring Band Concert. This is the first time Panthers have performed their spring concert without any COVID-19 restrictions since May, 2019.

I was grateful that we were still able to share our music in various ways over the past two years, but it definitely feels great to have one last normal concert.

— Kalena Bing, senior trumpet player

Senior Kalena Bing is very excited to be finally performing the Spring concert under normal circumstances for the first time since her freshman year. Bing explained, 

“I was grateful that we were still able to share our music in various ways over the past two years, but it definitely feels great to have one last normal concert.”

Mr. Visco, band director of Point Boro High School, is looking forward to the concert:

“I hope they go back to enjoying my performances, and appreciating all the hard work, time, and effort you’ve put in.”

The concert offers a variety of creative and meaningful pieces. These include Bacchanale (announced by senior Hunter Edwards-Dolci). It is a French piece inspired by the tumultuous relationship between Biblical characters Samson and Delilah. Another is Americans We (announced by senior Sean Haugh). The song highlights national pride, and was created by Henry Fillmore, one of the most vibrant composers of the 19th century. 

Some pieces are very personal to senior band members. The song Mystic Legacy (announced by senior Kalena Bing), is a thank-you to Ms. Meier, the Point Pleasant Boro 5th grade band director. Ms. Meier is responsible for starting most of the current Point Pleasant Boro Band seniors.

As the concert came to a close, Mr. Visco gave a speech about how he believes all of the seniors will go on to be successful in college, regardless of whether their future career involves music or not. With his sentiment in mind, the Point Pleasant Boro High School 2022 Concert Band performed their final song, To Challenge the Sky and the Heavens Above (announced by seniors Bridget Morris and Frank Murphy). 

Finally, the seniors would like to thank Mr. Visco for encouraging our love for music. The past four years of concert band has shaped us all into talented, experienced musicians. Even when COVID-19 was at its worst, he still strove to ensure the band continued playing their instruments. The Class of 2022 band members have enjoyed the ride immensely, and it has been a privilege to perform alongside past and present Point Boro band members.