Homecoming? More like Home-going!

The Homecoming Dance has been a high school tradition for years; why the sudden change? Are teenagers after the pandemic too socially isolated to enjoy what used to be a fun and normal high school event? Have sports and extracurriculars taken up everyone’s time? We walked around the school gathering students and faculty’s opinions to answer one simple question. So why isn’t there a Homecoming Dance?

Point Pleasant Boro high school has not had a Homecoming Dance since the fall of 2019. Looking back on those times before the pandemic it makes people wonder how much life has changed. We interviewed a wide variety of students with the pressing question “would you want a homecoming dance?” We found two sides of the same story.

First, we found the high school divided between ages. Older students such as seniors and juniors told us they didn’t really care about a dance stated in the interview. We spoke to a fellow senior, Dylan Donahue who stated, “no, I would not attend a Homecoming Dance.”

On the other hand, we had a couple students, who happened to be mostly underclassmen, state that they wouldn’t mind having a dance for the experience. As freshmen and sophomores, they don’t get their own dance at the end of the year. We interviewed sophomore Melanie Mulligan who went on to tell us, “I do want a Homecoming Dance because I think it could be really fun.” Another one of our seniors, Alanna Schnorrbusch, fended for our underclassmen by stating, “…I feel like its a nice thing to have for underclassmen because they don’t have a ball or prom.”

We Interviewed our wonderful student body leader, Mrs. Salvatoriello, to elaborate on this topic. She explained, “we polled the student body to find out who would be interested in attending and the results were not high.” Mrs. Salvatoriello also proceeded to enlighten us that only 80 people in the student body voted for a homecoming dance. “There were no’s and they were a lot higher…”

Between competition marching band, work, sports, games, and pasta parties, not many students would have been able to attend in order to fund the event. Mrs. Salvatoriello went on to explain to us that our school is looking to possibly have some kind of Winter Dance to replace the homecoming dance so students, especially underclassmen, can experience a dance. Hopefully in years to come conflicts will change and the Point Pleasant Boro high school students will finally be able to experience a homecoming dance.