Hockey Team Strives for Strong Season, Despite Small Bench

As the 2018-2019 winter sports season begins, the Point Boro Hockey team looks to stand out, aside from only having 13 players on the team. With the team becoming smaller and smaller each year, it is harder to keep up with the fast pace of the game.

With there being 6 seniors on the team, including one from the Co-operation with Manchester, the team is going to be left with a short bench.

Seniors, Eddie Coyne, Tyler Griffin, Andrew Hills(Manchester)  Ryan McCabe, John Meyer, Brett Nelson, and Aidan Zielaznicki, look to make this a stand out year as their final year on the ice for the high school.

The remaining roster includes Juniors: Matt Buccino, Cassie Campbell, Will Herrington, and Kyle Jones. Sophomore, Sam Transue, and Freshman, Jason Andreyev.

With a hot start to the season in the first and only scrimmage beating Bridgewater-Raritan 8 to 3, the momentum carried on to the season opener as the team defeated Southern Regional 6 to one, and the following week beating Jackson Memorial 6 to nothing, earning Senior goalie,John Meyer, his first shutout of the season.

The team traveled to Middletown Ice World on Tuesday, December 11th to take on Middletown South High School, but suffered their first loss,3 to 1.

Point Boro bounced back on Friday, December 14th against Toms River North High School At Ocean Ice Palace and successfully won 6-4.

On Sunday the 16th the team looked to carry on the momentum, which helped them in beating Brick Memorial 1-0.

The next game is Friday December 21st at 6:10pm at the Ocean Ice Palace against Rumson-Fair Haven.