The Point Press

• SUBSCRIBE through the following remind code to receive a text when a new edition is live: text @3e6246 to 81010

Filed under SHOWCASE, SPORTS

Baseball Update

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball Update

Pictured left to right: Christian Aurin, Michael Molnar, Sam Young, Jordan Serra and Coach Drew

Photo courtesy of Jim Rosa

Photo courtesy of Jim Rosa

Photo courtesy of Jim Rosa

With the first week of the season behind us, the Panthers are sitting at a solid 3-1 (1-1 in division play) after winning games against Barnegat, Spotswood, and most recently Central.

The team opened up on April 1st with a strong 7-2 win over Barnegat at home. Junior Nick Guzzi was on the mound for the Panthers and pitched 5 ⅔ innings with 10 strikeouts and 0 earned runs. Senior Paul Franceschini also shined for team that day as he went perfect at the plate, going 4-4 and having no errors in the field.

On April 3 the team traveled to Barnegat where they would play arguably one of their sloppiest games to date recording 8 errors which lead to a 9-7 loss to the Bengals of Barnegat.  This came as a bitter defeat as the Panthers had just beaten the Bengals a few days earlier in the week.

But the team got back on track Saturday April 6, beating the Chargers of Spotswood 10-0 in just 5 innings behind a no-hitter on the mound by junior Sam Young. Young had 12 strikeouts with just one walk, and he also held his own at plate going 3-3 with 2 RBIs (runs batted in). Juniors Nick Guzzi and Ryan Jasaitis also dazzled at the plate with Guzzi going 3-4 with a triple and 3 RBIs, and Jasaitis going a perfect 3-3 with an RBI on the day.

Most recently the Panthers beat Central Regional 4-0 behind a complete game shutout on the mound by Nick Guzzi. Guzzi is currently 2-0 and leads the team in total strikeouts when pitching with 19 in those 2 games.

With the season underway, the Panthers look to have a stellar season behind a good pitching staff and hot bats. The Panthers expect to have at least a 20 win season after coming off an 18-9 record just a year prior. With almost an entire returning lineup, the team is looking to be contenders for not only the division, but for all tournaments (Shore Conference and Ocean County) and especially the Group 2 sectional title where they came up just short last season falling to Haddonfield 2-1 in the state final.

About the Writer
Sam Young, Publication Relations Officer

I joined Journalism because I love to hangout with the best teacher in the school.  After high school I plan to have a fun happy life everyday, make tons...

1 Comment

One Response to “Baseball Update”

1. R. Muraglia on April 12th, 2019 7:36 am

Great write up SAM! You are too humble though! Your season has been stellar so I will do your bragging!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Baseball Update

ARTS & CULTURE

Marching For Mickey

• Baseball Update

FEATURES

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

• Baseball Update

FEATURES

Changes Ahead

• Baseball Update

OPINION

Should College Athletes Get Paid?

• Baseball Update

SHOWCASE

Students Defend Title Against Staff

• Baseball Update

ARTS & CULTURE

Newsies Unfolded

• Baseball Update

NEWS

Boro is on Point

• Baseball Update

OPINION

Pizza of Point

• Baseball Update

SHOWCASE

Spring Sports Preview

• Baseball Update

NEWS

Sharing a Little Love With Schroth School

The Online Student Newspaper of Point Pleasant Boro High School, Point Pleasant, NJ
Baseball Update