Studying and Self-Care Tips to Survive Midterms

Ahhh midterms!!! The time has finally come and students returning from winter break have little motivation or energy to study as they are approaching the halfway mark in the school year. Most students are already bracing themselves for the end! Luckily, if you are one of these students there is no need to worry- I am here to offer you a few simple tips and tricks to stop procrastination and all those other bad studying habits for good this midterm season!

To start, if you want to study, and I mean actually study, I suggest first picking a place and time. Make a commitment and dedication to studying; work somewhere that is comfortable for you, but also not distracting. Next, turn off ALL devices and take away any items that would cause a distraction to you while studying (electronics are especially one of the biggest distractions when working). Before you actually get to studying, I recommend discovering a learning style that suits your abilities best. Whether it’s visual, auditory, or tactile/kinesthetic, it is highly important to use whichever style in order to make your study session as effective as possible. Choosing a learning style that is compatible with your skills will ultimately allow you to learn and retain the most information as possible. While studying set yourself to a certain time limit, immerse yourself in activities like practice tests, flash cards, websites like kahoot or quizlet, and even create mnemonic devices to stimulate your brain and boost memory. Use all the resources you have! Once you have finished studying for the timed period make sure to take a short break. Cramming is one of the least effective methods of studying! Rather, try studying everyday at timed intervals to increase memory, this will surely help you to do well.  If these tips aren’t enough for you, consider organizing or joining a study group by reaching out to friends and classmates. Get together and talk about things you need help with or don’t understand, offering different perspectives always helps and you are never alone! 

My next few tips and tricks are for all of those super stressed students who are studying hard everyday! Self-care is equally as important as school, tests, work, etc., if anything, more attention should be paid to our well-being and emotional state as midterms approach. First things first, if studying ever becomes too overwhelming for you, never be afraid to stop and take a break. Around this time students feel the need to constantly push themselves past their work limit in order to succeed on their tests, but I am here to tell you this doesn’t have to be the case! If you take some of the tips provided above: eliminating distractions, studying in time limits, and studying every day, then you should be on track to acing your exams. As a student, I can admit that we really do not give ourselves enough credit for how hard we work when it comes to school. All of this hard work should of course be rewarded, whether it’s treating yourself to your favorite food, or even just taking time to relax and hang out with friends.

Self-care is such a crucial factor when it comes to success, you must take care of yourself first before you can attend to anything else. If you’re feeling swamped with work, push yourself to get outside and take a walk. Exercise is so important to being healthy and staying focused, without exercise we can become fatigued and unmotivated to study. If you’re feeling up for it, instead of walking try some light yoga. By stretching and focusing on your breathing, you can easily calm your nerves and learn to control the energy you put out into the world. If you are always exuding negative energy, than in return you will receive negative results. However, if you work to change your perspective and focus on the things that are positive, then you will receive positive results. You always get what you give! Therefore, if you are only giving half your effort, you will only receive results that are half good.  Alongside exercise, make sure to eat well, drink lots of water, and of course get enough sleep. Remember to never push yourself past your limits, if you ever need help seek your parents and friends who will have your best interest at heart. When worst comes to worst, put away your things and start again tomorrow. Every day is a new day filled with chances and opportunities that are waiting for you to take them. I hoped this helped you feel prepared; good luck on all those midterms!

Midterm Schedule Information:

Students should be in class prior to when the bell rings at 7:50, students who arrive late will not receive extra time. The first exam will begin at 7:50 a.m. and run until 9:50 a.m. When the exams ends at 9:50, there will be a 20 minute break held between exams that will end at 10:10 a.m. Once the break has ended, the second exam will begin and run until 12:10 p.m., Students will be dismissed from school after the designated time for the second exam has ended. Make-up dates fall on February 3rd and 4th from 2:30 to 4:40 pm in the media center for excused absences only.

In the morning from 7:20 to 7:45, the cafeteria will serve bagels, snacks and beverages for the students. The library will also be open from 7:45 to 1:00 p.m. for students use as well. When students leave a testing area, they must go to the media center, cafeteria, or leave the building. Students are not suggested to remain in the hallways during or after testing.