A Season To Remember Forever

Finishing the season 10-2, the panthers lost their final game at Rutgers stadium 28-27 in the Central/South Jersey Group II Regional Final in heartbreaking fashion. The 2021 Panthers were the first team in school history to ever reach the regional final. These young men have a lot to be proud of this season, including:

• 1st in the Shore Conference in points per game (35.5)
  • 1st in the Shore Conference in total rushing yards this season (3,566)
  • 6th in the Shore Conference in points allowed per game (13.7)
  • 2nd in the Shore Conference in total offensive yards this season (4,110)
  • South Jersey Group II State Sectional Champions (defeating Willingboro 32-8)
  • 2nd in program history in points scored in a season (426) 
  • 2nd in program history in total rushing yards in a season (3,566)
  • 1st Sophomore in program history to rush over 1,000 yards (Jake Croce)
  • Patriot Division Champions (5-0 in division)
  • Patriot Division and Shore Conference Coach of The Year (Brian Staub)
  • 17 players making All-Division honors (10-1st Team, 7-2nd Team)
  • 3 players made APP All-Shore Team (Vitale-1st Team, Skinner-2nd Team, Croce-3rd Team)
  • 3 players made 1st team all-state group II (Vitale, Skinner, and Croce)

It’s been a special season, with a special group of people, players and coaches that came together to accomplish a common goal. There’s no greater feeling in sports than a championship with a tight knit group of brothers

— Special Teams Coach David Johnson

These honors demonstrate that this season was one that will go down as one of the greatest seasons in Point Boro Football history. Outscoring their opponents 426-157, the Panthers’ rushing attack was a nightmare for defenses to stop all season long. Racking up 342 yards of offense on average per game, scoring 57 total touchdowns, averaging 4.75 touchdowns a game. The defense, causing an astonishing 15 turnovers this season, 10 being interceptions, 5 being fumble recoveries. The Panthers’ defensive line has been resilient all season long creating havoc within the tackles with 24 total sacks this season. Getting pressure on the opposing quarterback has been a point of emphasis all season long, pressure creates the quarterback to make a bad throw for the secondary to take advantage of. Everything starts up front in the trenches with the offensive and defensive lines, all three defensive linemen made All-Division honors this season: sophomore BOOM Davison, junior Aiden Ward, and junior Connor Reynolds. The offensive line creates walls of blocks so that someone in the backfield can make a play. These big young men up front are battling for their lives every play, doing their 1/11th. All four offensive lineman also earning All-Division honors this season: senior Justin Tuzzolino, senior Cole Skinner, senior Mike Meccia, and senior Luke Wilson. 

On special teams this year, the Panthers have gotten an extra offensive possession 7 times due to Bobby Cooper’s perfectly placed ¨pop-over¨ kicks right over the first line of defenders so one of our guys could jump on it – junior Connor Cilento recovering five of them. Special teams Coach David Johnson had this to say when asked about there performances: “It’s been a special season, with a special group of people, players and coaches that came together to accomplish a common goal. There’s no greater feeling in sports than a championship with a tight knit group of brothers.”

When asked about the goals in August at the beginning of the season, Coach Johnson explained that “Coach Staub wanted to make an emphasis on special teams like no other team in the shore, its the hidden yards and extra possessions. Offense sells tickets, defense wins games, but special teams wins championships.”

It was great bringing the community together, especially in this day and age when it was needed to bring the community together. It was fun because ultimately the community got behind our team, and from a coach’s standpoint, it was really good to see all of our aspirations and hard work show up on the big stage

— Coach Ryan Canary

This season was the season that was destined to get Point Boro Football back on the map, as for the first time since the 2017 season, they’ve had a winning season, division championship, a sectional finals appearance, along with an appearance at Rutgers. This year’s team went further than every other school in the Shore Conference, aside from RBC, as the only public team in the shore to walk away with a state sectional title this season. Truly historic season for these young men who really resemble the brotherhood that Boro Football is about. When asked about what a journey this season has been, Coach Ryan Canary said, “It was great bringing the community together, especially in this day and age when it was needed to bring the community together. It was fun because ultimately the community got behind our team, from a coaches standpoint, it was really good to see all our aspirations and hard work show up on the big stage.”

This year’s senior class went from 1-7 as freshmen with Coach Brady and Coach Dryzmkowski, to this year with a 10-2 record. The seniors get to finish their high school careers with some hardware and a ring.

Congratulations on a legendary senior season: Kevin Billy, Dermot McLaughlin, Thomas Welch, Charlie Vitale, Luke Wilson, Justin Tuzzolino, Devin Morris, Jackson Fattell, Aidan Kirk, Michael, Machnicki, and Matt and Mike Meccia. 

And for the last time, HAPPY DERM DAY!!!