What To Expect This Point Boro Wrestling Season

The 2022-2023 Point Boro wrestling season is right around the corner and is expected to be one of the most exciting and record-breaking seasons yet! Last year left very high expectations for this year’s season and we are excited to see what will come of this year’s season!

After talking to Coach Grainer about what he is excited to see this season he said, “We are excited about a platoon of football players trying out wrestling for the first time this year.” This includes Aiden Ward and Michael Smith and also Juniors such as Charles Davidson, Greysen Pagan, and Chris Disbrow. It’s going to be exciting to see them bring their talents from the field to the mat!

The new freshman class brought in many new wrestlers including Charlize Schlam, who has wrestled all her life and could be Point Boro’s first state-place winner in the female division. The freshman class is also bringing in many very talented wrestlers who are going to excel in the years to come here. One of them is Landon Neris, also on the freshman football team, who started wrestling last year. He says he is very excited about the better competition to come in his years here at the high school. 

Some assets on the mat we are excited to see make a comeback this year are seniors Nate Fletcher whose junior season got cut short last year due to an injury during a home match, and Jack Thompson who placed top twelve in New Jersey last season. Also, Junior Ryan Acquisto who took fifth in the region, and sophomores Frankie Burgio and Joey DeAngelo, both State Qualifiers last year. These boys along with the rest of the team had amazing seasons last year and we are very excited to see what this year brings them. 

We also talked to Coach Lins who said, “Goals are high, the goal is always group overall title…We have high hopes for this group due to senior leadership and influx of young motivated wrestlers.” This year is going to be very exciting, one you won’t want to miss!

Here are some important dates to remember,  Opening night is home vs. Colts Neck on Thursday, Dec 15, 2022, Friday, Jan 6, 2023, The Panthers are versing Manasquan at Manasquan, and the infamous Point Boro vs. Point Beach match will be held at Point Beach High School on January 20, 2023. The opening night match is at 5:30, the rest after that will be held at 6:00.